From installation to annual maintenance, your smoke detectors are taken care of.
From new homes to rental properties Smillie Electrical Services has got you covered. We can install new compliant smoke alarms, upgrade existing smoke alarms or conduct tests and services to ensure you and your family are safe. For only $99 plus GST, Smillie Electrical can attend to your property and conduct a thorough smoke alarm inspection, which includes changing batteries.
Victorian Smoke Alarm Legislation
All Victorian homes must have smoke alarms. Rental providers (landlords) must make sure that smoke alarms are properly installed and working. Renters should make sure that they continue to operate and tell their rental provider if they stop working.
Smoke alarms must be installed in all Victorian houses, units, flats and townhouses. Rental providers must fit smoke alarms in rented properties.
All buildings built after 1 August 1997 must have hard-wired smoke alarms with a battery backup. Buildings built before that date can have a battery-powered smoke alarm.
Smoke Alarm Rental Legislation
These requirements for smoke alarm safety apply to:
- rental agreements entered into after 29 March 2021
- fixed term agreements of more than five years that become periodic tenancies after 29 March 2021.
Renter and rental provider responsibilities for smoke alarm safety will be included in new rental agreements.
The rental provider must ensure smoke alarms:
- are correctly installed and in working order
- are tested according to the manufacturer’s instructions at least once every 12 months
- have their batteries replaced as required
- are repaired or replaced as an urgent repair.
- notify the rental provider in writing as soon as possible after becoming aware that a smoke alarm is not in working order.
On or before the start of a rental agreement, a rental provider must give a renter written information on how:
- each smoke alarm works and how to test them
- the renter must:
- not tamper with any smoke alarm
- report a smoke alarm that is not working.
Smillie Electrical Services is the name you can trust
We have more than 30 years of experience in the electrical industry and provide smoke alarm servicing across Melbourne. Our expert technicians provide a range of services and can ensure you are receiving the best quality service possible. Don’t struggle with hard-wired smoke alarms, or trust anyone else with you and your family’s safety.
Contact us now
Smillie Electrical Services guarantees a 100% lifetime workmanship warranty and would love to answer any questions you may have. Scroll down to ask us a question or call us on 03 9069 9660 and speak to a member of our expert team.
Areas We Service
Smillie provides Smoke Alarm Servicing to the southern, eastern and inner city suburbs of Melbourne.